Friday, September 18, 2009

ON HOPE. Another Human Condition

Hope: i) a belief that something desired will happen,
ii)a person, a thing or circumstance that makes hope possible
Mahabuba: a Kiswahili term of endearment that could literally translate to my most beloved love.

To want something and consider it possible is the very nature and the fitting explanation of hope.
To create our fantasies and desire that there be a way to realise them is to hope.

We hope even when the odds are against us, when scientific facts are thrown at us, when we are stuck in the middle of nowhere with no charge in our phone battery.

Hope.

It would seem to me that often, what keeps us going is not knowledge, or even clarity, but hope.

There is something profound and stoic about hope. She is the reason a mother will pray for her hardcore criminal son or why a lover will fight to keep a marriage afloat, Hope. It is an irrational condition that has no substitute.

Now, considering I am very much human, I too have a never ending affair with hope. Hope is my mistress, and I am her slave. We are very well suited.
On the upcoming album "The Human Condition" we capture this condition on the song "Mahabuba." I was surprised at how easily I opened up to the co-writers and the producer on my own love in waiting fantasy.

I am a believer in love, and the possibility that in this incarnation, I will be reunited with the flesh of my flesh, and the bone of my bone. Yes, I said it. I believe in a soul mate. I observe that while we can choose to make the one we are with "the one,"I believe the "one" does exists out there. Together with the truth, and balance (speaking of which, whoever meets balance please tell her/him that she /him is wanted by me dead or alive, and quickly too!) That the one soul split into two, and the two into four, the four into six and so forth and so soul mitosis.

And I do think there is a difference between togetherness and oneness.

And so I hope that he be truly human, and yet walk with the confidence of a god. That he be whole and yet know that his soul is forever roaming until it will find its rest within mine. I hope that I stay open, hope that I remain un-jaded, hope that we find each other, hope that we can be together in this lifetime.

Hope that I am right.

2 comments:

Jona Ochako said...

Hope is leaving things to chance. I'll buy you album, so lets not leave that to hope...it will do well.

On soul mates, lets leave that to chance, I hope your right too...(but what if you aren't...)--don't have to think about it coz we hope...hope is our easy mental escape to everything/anything

bantutu said...

The rant about hope distracted moi a bit from my brokeness, hehe "Mikono kwenye hewa" :)
Of soulmates and attaining self balance/imbalance (considering your current state is that of a delicate balance of a long list of elements...I'm rambling), I think I'll reserve my cynicism for another forum.

Totally Adore the album!!!